Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Curious Letter from Representative Eleanor Holmes Norton

On June 1, 2009 I mailed the following letter to my representative in Congress, Eleanor Holmes Norton. I told Representative Norton that I believed I was a victim of a federal civil rights violation, and I requested that she refer the matter to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for possible investigation. The FBI investigates federal civil rights violations. In a letter dated June 10, 2009, Representative Norton sent me a strangely nonresponsive reply; her office represented that I had requested Representative Norton to intervene in a judicial proceedings. That is in no way what I requested.

I want to emphasize that Representative Norton has always been helpful to me in the past when I have written to her office.


June 1, 2009
xxxx Connecticut Avenue, NW
Apartment xxx
Washington, DC 20008
(xxx) xxx xxxx

The Honorable Eleanor Holmes Norton
N.W. District Office
529 14th Street, N.W., Suite 900
Washington, DC 20045

RE: Federal Civil Rights Violation – FBI Referral

Dear Representative Norton:

I am writing to request that your office refer to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for investigation the federal civil rights violation described in the attached letter addressed to former DC Police Chief, Charles Ramsey.

I believe I am a victim of a federal civil rights violation, which falls within the investigative jurisdiction of the FBI.

I am unable to apply for employment because of intimidation by the Metropolitan Police of the District of Columbia (MPDC). I risk arrest or commitment to a mental hospital if I file an employment application with a prospective employer and invoke my rights as a disabled American. The Social Security Administration determined that I became disabled and not suitable for employment effective October 29, 1991 (the date of my job termination), in part, based on evidence that I evoke fears that I am potentially violent and homicidal. There is substantial evidence that that evidence is unreliable.

I believe that the right to seek employment is a fundamental liberty interest guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States, and that the denial of, or interference with, that right constitutes a federal civil rights violation.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Gary Freedman
____________________________________________

Congress of the United States
House of Representatives
Washington, D.C. 20515

June 10, 2009

Mr. Gary Freedman
3801 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Apt. 136
Washington, DC 20008-4530

Dear Mr. Freedman:

Thank you for writing about your situation. I am sorry to learn of your difficulty. However, I must inform you that I cannot provide the assistance you request.

I am bound to uphold the principle of the separaion of powers of the branches of the federal government. As a member of the legislative branch, I cannot intervene in proceedings of the judicial branch. Assistance from my office is available to you in matters within the lawful jurisdiction of my congressional office. I have, however, enclosed a list of legal resources which you may use. Please note that many of these organizations provide services without charge.

I am returning your correspondence to aid you in seeking appropriate help.

Sincerely,

Eleanor Holmes Norton

ehn:lj

Enclosure: Correspondence Returned

1 comment:

My Daily Struggles said...

The USMS started reading my blog in November 2009.