Monday, December 28, 2009

What Does Esther Know?

I moved to 3801 Connecticut Avenue, NW, an apartment building in upper Northwest Washington, DC in late August 1983.

My next door neighbors in apartment 137 were two elderly women: Bernice Stiles and Genevieve Topliff ("Toppie").

Bernice was retired from the Federal Bureau of Investigation. She died in the 1990s.

Toppie was originally from Minnesota, I believe. She was born in 1910 and died in the year 2000. Toppie was friendly with front desk manager Elizabeth Joyce, who worked at 3801 from 1986 to mid-year 2003. Toppie was also friendly with a tenant who lived on the first floor named Geraldine "Gerry" Poland, an elderly woman.

When I moved into the building, Bernice Stiles and Genevieve Topliff were the guardians of a young girl named Esther. In 1983 Esther appeared to be the same age as my older niece, who was born in 1975. So, in 1983, Esther was about eight years old. Esther attended the Oyster School in Washington; she was fluent in Spanish. Esther continued to live in apartment 137 until she got married in the 1990s.

I do not know the current whereabouts of Esther or her maiden or married names.

Odd recollection: In early October 1994 I sent a letter to the FBI that referred to presidential assassination. The FBI referred the letter to the U.S. Secret Service (S.A. Phillip C. Leadroot), who interviewed me in December 1994. Some time in October 1994 I happened to see Esther, and she had a look of horror when she looked at me. I don't know if her reaction to me was a reaction to any law enforcement inquiry.

No comments: